Will I have to pay for any community care I receive?

Your local authority will conduct a financial assessment to determine how much you could be expected to contribute towards the cost of any care you need. Each local authority has its own charging policy, but there are national guidelines they should follow.

They will consider the impact the cost of care will have on your overall income, and must make sure it won't fall below a certain level. They are not allowed to consider some benefits as income for the purpose of this assessment, including Attendance Allowance, the care component of Disability Living Allowance and the Severe Disability Premium of Income Support.

After your local authority has completed the financial assessment, they will write to you to let you know how much your care will cost. If you are not happy with how much they are asking you to pay, you can ask or a review of your charges. If you are still not satisfied after this review, you can make a complaint using your local authority's complaints procedure to challenge their decision.

For more advice on community care costs, or how to challenge charges you have been asked to pay, please contact our Helpline on:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation