I'm deafblind, what help is there for me?

There is a lot of help for you if you have both hearing and sight loss (often called dual-sensory loss). As a first step, it is worthwhile contacting your local social services department as they should have a team that specialises in helping people with both sight and hearing loss.

This specialist team is usually called the Sensory Impairment Team, they can assess your needs and see what help you can get to help you remain independent, get out and about, access information, communicate with other people and carry out regular tasks around the home.

There are also organisations that specialise in supporting deafblind people, including Sense and Deafblind UK. Who provide a range of advice and services for deafblind people. They also organise groups across the UK where you can meet other deafblind people to share experiences, information and socialise.

Further information about dual sensory loss can be found on our Dual sensory loss web pages.

You can also contact our Helpline:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation