I can't use public transport, is there anyone who can help me to travel?

If you are unable to access local public transport, there are a usually a number of alternative ways to travel depending on where you live.

A lot of towns and villages are served by local community transport. This is usually run by a local charity or social enterprise and provides travel for people who find it difficult to access public transport in their area. Community transport providers run different types of services depending on the demand for the service, the funding they recieve and how many volunteers help out, and could include timetabled accessible buses or a door-to-door booking service using the volunteers' own cars.

Some community transport providers are also associated with local Shopmobility schemes. These schemes provide equipment and escorts after you arrive in the town centre to help you get around.

To find your nearest community transport provider you can use the Sightline Directory, or visit ctonline.org.uk.

Some local authorities also offer taxi cards so you can use taxis at subsidised rates. For information on any scheme in your area, you should contact your local authority.

For information on mobility training see the entry on "How do I learn how to use a white stick?"

We have more advice about getting around safely if you have sight loss in our Travel leaflet, part of our Confident living series:

Transport in London

TFL (Transport for London) offer assistance for public transport in London:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation