Can I keep my driving licence?

If you are having problems with your sight and wondering if you will still be able to drive a car or ride a motorcycle, the first thing you should do is talk to your ophthalmologist (eye specialist).

They can measure your level of sight and let you know whether this means you can drive or not.

The second step is to contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). The DVLA will want to find out more about your eye condition and if you can meet the basic eyesight requirements that you have to fulfil to be able to drive. After gathering any medical evidence they need the DVLA can decide whether to let you keep your licence, issue you with a new one limited for a set period until they carry out another review, or take away your licence. However you may not lose your licence forever. You may be able to get your licence back if your condition improves and the DVLA believes you are fit to drive again.

Further information about driving and sight loss can be found on our driving and sight loss web page.

You can contact the DVLA:

If you are in Northern Ireland, you can contact the DVA: 

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation