What support is available to help my child learn how to move around safely and independently?

Your child can get support to improve their mobility skills. Mobility skills or Habilitation is the term used to describe helping children who are blind or partially sighted learn to move safely and independently. This includes supporting a child to learn routes and strategies for getting around familiar and unfamilar places, and use support like a sighted guide, long cane and to prepare for use of a guide dog if that becomes appropriate or desirable in teenage years or adulthood.

Your Qualified Teacher of (children with) Visual Impairment is the best place to start regarding setting up mobility and habilitation support for your child.

You can also find a list of local contacts for Guide Dogs' local mobility services and details of mobility support for children in your local area.

Further information can also be found in our guides which focus on mobility with children:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation