Where can I find a school for my blind or partially sighted child?

Many blind and partially sighted children are educated in mainstream schools, or in special schools that do not specialise in vision impairment.

Mainstream schools have a Special Needs Coordinator (SENCO) who will work with you to look at how your child's educational needs can be best met at school. The Sensory Visual Impairment Service will support the school to ensure that your child has full access to the curriculum and broader school life.

We strongly advise contacting your local authority's Visual Impairment Teaching Service for information about provision in your local area.

For details of schools which cater for children with vision impairment, and also cater for children with additional needs such as hearing impairment, physical disabilities, autism and communication difficulties, visit our page on specialist schools and colleges in the UK. This includes a list of mainstream schools with a resourced base for children with vision impairment.

RNIB has a special school and children's home, a specialist residential centre and a college:

You may also wish to contact IPSEA - Independent Parental Special Education Advice - who provide free legal advice to families who have children with special educational needs.

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation