What are my legal rights at university and college?

Under the Equality Act (2010) all education providers are required to ensure that disabled people's access requirements are met.

Colleges and Higher Education institutions are required to provide publicity and all other materials in a range of accessible formats (large print, Braille, etc) so you should ask for these in the format you prefer. These institutions have an 'anticipatory' duty under the legislation and they should be able to provide materials in an appropriate format without difficulty. You should find out what the college or university provides in terms of other facilities such as computers with screen reading and/or magnification software.

The environment should also be accessible and you should be able to get around safely.

Find out more about the Equality Act 2010.

Knowing your rights under consumer law will help make sure you get all the information you need and are treated fairly during your studies. Visit the Gov.uk pages on advice on consumer law for students.

For further information and support about your legal rights visit: Call 0303 123 9999 or email helpline@rnib.org.uk.

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation