My banks or utility providers won't send me letters or statements in my preferred reading format, what can I do?

Under the Equality Act 2010 your bank has to make reasonable adjustments to make sure everyone can access its services.

This includes providing bank statements in your preferred format, such as braille. These reasonable adjustments should already have been considered by your bank and can often be made easily and quickly, sometimes it's just a matter of asking for them.

You should never be asked to pay extra for the adjustments you require. If you're unhappy with the level of service you've received, even after you've asked for the adjustments you need, you should follow the bank's complaints process.

Find out more about the Equality Act 2010 on the main RNIB website.

For further information and assistance please contact our Helpline on:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation