Can I claim Blind Person’s Allowance?

You can claim Blind Person's Allowance:

England and Wales - if you're registered with your local council as blind or severely sight impaired

Scotland and Northern Ireland - if you are unable to perform any work for which eyesight is essential

The allowance is added to your tax-free Personal Allowance and increases the amount of income you can earn each year before you start paying tax.

If you are on a low income, or you don't pay any tax, you can transfer the Blind Person's Allowance, or part of it, to your spouse or civil partner - even if they are sighted. If both you and your spouse or civil partner qualify for Blind Person's Allowance, you can both claim an allowance.

To claim, call HM Revenue and Customs:

  • 0300 200 3301

Further information about allowances you could be entitled to can be found on our tax allowance and exemptions web pages.

You can also contact our Helpline:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation