Can I claim Blind Person’s Allowance?

You can claim Blind Person's Allowance if you are a UK tax payer and registered severely sight impaired (blind) or, if you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland, are unable to perform any work for which eyesight is essential. The allowance is added to your tax-free Personal Allowance and increases the amount of income you can earn each year before you start paying tax.

If you are on a low income, or you don't pay any tax, you can transfer the Blind Person's Allowance, or part of it, to your spouse or civil partner - even if they are sighted. If both you and your spouse or civil partner qualify for Blind Person's Allowance, you can each claim an allowance.

To claim, call HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) on:

  • 0300 200 3301

Read more about Blind Person's Allowance and tax exemptions you could be entitled to.

For further advice and support please contact our Helpline:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation