Can I claim Carer's Allowance for looking after my partner who has sight loss?

Yes, you could be entitled to Carer's Allowance if you care for your blind or partially sighted partner, including if you have sight loss or another disability yourself.

The person you are caring for must be claiming certain components of either Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Attendance Allowance (AA). There are also some other criteria you and your partner have to meet for a successful claim.

Further information, including how to check if you meet the criteria to claim, can be found on our benefits for carers webpage.

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation