I've had to pay towards my Council Tax, is this right?

If you live in England, Wales or Scotland, only certain properties are exempt from Council Tax, so it is very likely that you will have to pay some.

How much you have to pay depends on your circumstances. It is worth checking to see if you can take advantage of any of the four schemes below that could reduce your Council Tax bill. Although the four ways are not specifically for blind and partially sighted people, one or all of them may apply to you.

  1. Your local Council Tax support scheme that helps people on low incomes. This has replaced Council Tax Benefit.
  2. The disability reduction scheme.
  3. Single person's discount.
  4. Second adult rebate. 

Further information can be found in our Reducing your council tax bill factsheet:

You can also contact our Helpline:

Debt Advice

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax or other bills/debts, see the Debt Advice page on the RNIB website for help finding an expert debt adviser. Council Tax is a priority debt, with potentially serious consequences for not paying. It is important that action is taken at the earliest opportunity to address any arrears or potential arrears.

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation