I've been turned down for Disability Living Allowance, what can I do?

If the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has turned down your claim for Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Attendance Allowance (AA), or awarded you less than you had expected, you can challenge their decision.

The first thing you need to do is ask for a "mandatory reconsideration". This is a request asking for the DWP to look again at your claim. You must do this within one month of the DWP's initial decision.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of their reconsideration, you can make an appeal to HM Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS). HMCTS act as an independent body and can overturn the DWP's decision. They can however also reduce the amount of benefit you are receiving if they feel you were awarded the wrong amount initially. You must make an appeal within one month of when you were notified of the DWP's reconsideration.

Challenging a benefit decision and making an appeal can be a complicated and stressful process. Find out more about appealing a benefits decision or contact our Helpline for advice on your case on:

Debt Advice

If you are struggling with your bills, debts or payments as a result of the decision, see the “Debt Advice” page on our website for help finding an expert debt adviser.

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation