What is the Freedom Pass and how can I get one?

There are two types of Freedom Passes; an Older Persons Pass and a Disabled Persons Pass. Both entitle the holder to travel for free on the majority of London's public transport, including some national rail services. For full details of where you can travel for free and certain exceptions please see London Council's page on Using the pass.

Disabled Persons Freedom Pass

To be eligible you must reside in London and have a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI). For details of other eligibility criteria please see the Disabled Persons Freedom Pass Eligibility page on the London Councils website.

Applications are made to your local borough council using a form provided by them. For a list of councils and their contact details please see the Apply for a Disabled Persons Freedom Pass page on the London Councils website.

Some councils issue discretionary disabled persons passes to people who do not fit the statutory eligibility criteria, for more information please contact your local borough council.

Carers for people with a disability are not eligible for a Freedom Pass.

Older Persons Feedom Pass

To be eligible for an Older Person Freedom Pass you must reside in London and fulfil the Age Criteria which can be checked on London Council's Eligibility Checker.

You can apply online or by post. For details how to obtain an application form and apply please see the Older Persons Freedom Pass first time applications page on the London Councils website.

For further information about the passes, please contact London Council's Freedom Pass team on:

For further assistance and support around freedom passes and other travel options please contact our Helpline on:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation