My child has been diagnosed with a sight condition. Why have the hospital given me no information?

It is often difficult to take in everything you are told when faced with any diagnosis. It is therefore important to ask for written detail of your child's condition. Sometimes it may take a number of visits before there is any clear information to give. If you are unsure after you have left, ring the hospital and ask the consultant's secretary if you can have a written report or ask your GP to follow up for you. A number of the eye hospitals have sight loss advisers (also known as eye clinic liaison officers or ECLOs) who can spend time talking through your concerns and supporting you with further information and contacts. You may also find Blind Children UK's Starting Point guides helpful.

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation