Can I register as partially sighted if I have lost the sight in one of my eyes?

Many people who have sight in only one of their eye's (sometimes called “monocular vision”) consider themselves partially sighted.

However, an eye consultant will not be able to certify you as “Sight Impaired/Partially Sighted” unless you have a significant loss of sight in your other eye. This is because the sight in your other eye will largely compensate for the loss of sight in the affected eye.

If you have some loss of sight in your other eye as well, then it is worth discussing the possibility of registration with your eye consultant. As there could be some advantages of registering your sight loss.

Further information about sight loss in one eye, can be found in our Monocular Vision factsheet:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation