Can I register as blind or partially sighted?

You have to have permanent changes in vision in both your eyes which can't be corrected by wearing glasses in order to be registered with your local authority as sight impaired (partially sighted) or severely sight impaired (blind). Speak to your ophthalmologist about registration so he or she can start the registration process by certifying your sight loss.

Your opthalmologist will measure your level of vision and issue you with a Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI). A copy of this will be sent to your local authority who will ask if you wish to register your sight loss with them.

If you are receiving treatment which the ophthalmologist thinks may improve your vision, they may not be able to certify you. You do not have to be registered to access help from your social services or to get help from RNIB.

Further information about registering your sight loss can be found on our registering as sight impaired web pages.

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation