How do I register as blind or partially sighted?

Your eye specialist (ophthalmologist) is the only person that can start the process of registering you with your local authority as sight impaired (partially sighted) or blind (severely sight impaired). You need to have lost a significant level of vision in both your eyes before your ophthalmologist is able to start the process.

Further information about registering your sight loss can be found on our Registering as sight impaired web pages and in our Benefits, concessions and registration leaflet, part of our starting out series:

You can also contact our Helpline:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation