Why isn't RNIB offering a Talking Books subscription that includes a loan player anymore?
We've decided to stop offering a books and player Talking Books subscription for a number of reasons:
- technology changes very quickly, and our Talking Books Service needs to be more flexible so we can meet the needs of our customers now and in the future
- many of you, our Talking Books customers, have told us that you'd like a choice of formats such as MP3 CDs, USB sticks and downloads; and cheaper, more portable players
- existing DAISY players are becoming old with spares increasingly difficult to source. New DAISY players are hard to buy in sufficient quantities at a realistic price
- local authorities are under great pressure to reduce their costs
- plus many customers tell us they would like subscription prices to be less expensive.
We still offer RNIB Talking Books, our popular flagship service, which lets you borrow from over 23,000 high quality talking books for free on DAISY CD. You can now also get Talking Books on USB stick for free. We still sell a range of players – special DAISY players or CD players – that can play our DAISY CDs. And in answer to your demands for more flexibility, we’ve launched RNIB Overdrive, a digital library service which lets you borrow and download our Talking Books to listen to on your computer, smartphone or tablet.