What advice and support is available for people with learning disabilities and sight loss?

Our UK Vision, Learning Disability and Complex Needs Services (VILD) offers free, impartial information about sight difficulties for people with a learning disability as well as other complex needs such as dementia, stroke or autism.

The team is based in Scotland, but they can provide advice to people across the UK.

For further information about the VILD please see the entry on Who can provide advice about learning disability, dementia or other complex needs with sight loss? or contact the UK Practice and Development Team on:

Other resources

RNIB have produced a number of factsheets

Tips to help identify sight loss for a person with a learning disability factsheet

Tips to help you communicate with a person who has a learning disability and sight loss factsheet

Tips for supporting someone with learning disabilities to wear their new glasses factsheet

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation