How do I donate my or my relative’s eyes for treatment or research purposes?

If you or your relative carries a donor card, then their corneas are part of this scheme.

The NHS Blood and Transplant service coordinates donor services in the UK and will be able to offer more information about donating corneas and other parts of the eye.

Also, if you live in Wales, you are automatically opted-in to donate your organs through "deemed consent". If you don't want to be a donor, you can register not to be a donor (ie opt out) through the NHS organ donation website.

To donate for research purposes rather than for donation, the UK Human Tissue Authority of medical research will be able to help. For more information on donor cards and donations, visit the NHS Blood and Transplant website.


Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation