I'm troubled by bright lighting and glare, what can I do to help?

  • If you or someone you care for has suddenly become light sensitive over the last few days, seek immediate medical advice. Light sensitivity can be a symptom of conditions such as meningitis.
  • If you have become troubled by bright light recently, visit your optometrist (optician) for an eye examination to find out if there is any particular cause of the problem.
  • If you know you have an eye condition, this may be causing you problems with bright lights and glare. The first steps to coping with glare is using sunglasses/tinted lenses or a hat with a brim. RNIB sell a number of eye shields and tinted lenses. You can seek advice on the best type of eye shield for you at your nearest low vision clinic. Some local opticians are also able to provide specialist advice. To find your nearest low vision clinic, you can use the Sightline Directory.

For more information on light sensitivity see the 'your guide to light sensitivity' pages on our website. We also have produced a factsheet about light sensitivity (photophobia):

For further information and advice about light sensitivity and other topics please contact our Helpline on:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation