What and where are low vision services?

Low vision services are provided by specialists who will help you to make the most of your sight. They will complete an assessment with you, discussing any tasks and activities you may find difficult.  This enables them to identify any low vision aids, such as magnifiers, lighting and eye shields that will help you with everyday tasks like reading or help reduce glare when you are outside. You also be able to try out the equipment and receive training on how to use it.

Further information about what happens during a low vision assessment can be found in our Making the most of your sight leaflet, part of our Starting Out series:

In England and Scotland

Low vision service provision across England and Scotland is very varied and may be based in a local hospital, opticians or a resource centre run by a local society for people with sight loss. You should ask your local social services department, GP, optician or eye specialist to refer you to a low vision clinic for a low vision assessment.

In Northern Ireland

Low Vision services in Northern Ireland are part of the hospital service. Further information, including how to contact an Eye Clinic Liaison Officer (ECLO) can be found on our Eye Care Liaison Service RNIB Northern Ireland web page.

In Wales

Low Vision services in Wales are provided by specialists working within high street opticians. Further information including how to find your nearest one can be found on the Wales Eye Care Services website.

If you require further advice and information contact our Helpline:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation