What can I do if I think my hospital or doctor has been negligent?

If you feel that your hospital or doctor has been clinically negligent in the diagnosis or treatment of your eye condition then you should get specialist legal advice as soon as possible. This might lead on to you making a formal complaint through the NHS Complaints Procedure or even taking legal action.

Unfortunately we are not able to advise on such matters but, as a first step, you could try contacting the charity Action Against Medical Accidents (AvMA).

AvMA operate a free and confidential Medical Accident Helpline that offers advice and support. They can refer you on to an appropriate solicitor if necessary:

  • 0845 123 2352
  • Monday to Friday, 10am to 5pm

The AvMA website also has a number of useful leaflets that explain more about making a complaint to the NHS or private healthcare provider, taking legal action and accessing medical records.

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation