I've had a stroke, who can help me with my sight loss?

Orthoptists play an essential role in assessing and managing many of the visual problems that may be the result of a stroke. Visual training with or without optical aids can be led by orthoptists as well as professionals in Low Vision and Optometrists.

In addition, doctors, physiotherapists, speech therapists, rehab workers, nurses and occupational therapists all play a major role in the rehabilitation and recovery process of people who have had a stroke. If you experience any visual difficulties following a stroke, it is important that you have your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist.

Further information on the different professionals involved in caring for someone with stroke related sight loss can be found on our Who Does What in Eye Health? webpage.

You can also contact our Helpline:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation