I'm having difficulty travelling to work, what help is available for me?

Employers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments. This is the way in which employers can, where possible support disabled staff to carry out their jobs. There are many different sorts of reasonable adjustments which might help you with your travel issues, such as working from home or a change in working hours.

Further information can be found on our Employment and Work webpages.

Access to Work

Access to Work is a grant scheme run by Jobcentre Plus. Access to Work helps towards any extra employment costs that result from a disability, including equipment and travelling to work. 

Further information can be found on our Access to Work webpage.

Assistance using public transport

Many travel providers help blind and partially sighted customers by providing assistance and some also offer concessionary rates. Contact your local travel provider for more information.

You may also be able to receive mobility training from your local social services department. Contact your GP for details on how to access these services.

Further information on travel and getting around can be found in our Travel leaflet, part of or Confident living series:

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation