Can I keep claiming my benefits if I'm going abroad?

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you're going away for less than 4 weeks, you can continue to receive both income-related and contribution-based ESA.

If you're going abroad for more than 4 weeks but less than a year, you need to let your local Jobcentre Plus know. You can carry on getting contribution-based ESA for up to 26 weeks if you’re going abroad for medical treatment in any country.

If you're going abroad for more than a year you can carry on receiving contribution-based ESA as long as you remain in the EEA (including Switzerland). You can't receive income-related ESA.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Attendance Allowance

You can continue to claim PIP, DLA or Attendance Allowance if you’re going abroad for up to 13 weeks. This is extended to 26 weeks if it’s for medical treatment.

If you are moving to somewhere else in the EEA (including Switzerland), you might be able to continue to receive the DLA care component, the PIP living component or Attendance Allowance depending on your National Insurance contributions.

You should contact Exportability Team before claiming these benefits abroad: 

  • 01253 331 044

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation