I'm deafblind, what help is there for me?

There is a lot of help for you if you have both hearing and sight loss. As a first step, it is worthwhile contacting your local social services department as they should have a team that specialises in helping people with sight loss, hearing loss or both (often called dual-sensory loss). This specialist team is usually called the Sensory Impairment Team. They can assess your needs and see what help they can give you to remain independent, get out and about, access information, communicate with other people and carry out the usual tasks around the home.

For further advice and information contact our Helpline on 0303 123 99 99. 

There are also organisations that specialise in supporting deafblind people, such as Sense and Deafblind UK. Who provide a range of advice and services, they also organise groups across the UK where you can meet other deafblind people to share experiences, information and have fun.

Find out more about dual sensory loss.

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation