What support is available for parents of blind or partially sighted children?

A very important source of ongoing support for parents and children with vision impairment is your local authority’s Sensory Support Service. You can use the Sightline Directory to find your local service by searching for "sensory support" and your location.

A child found to have vision impairment should be automatically referred from the hospital eye department to the Vision Impairment Service, but it’s important to make sure this link has been made.

RNIB have a range of information, advice, services and activities for blind and partially sighted children and their families. You can find more details in our parents’ section.

If a parent needs emotional support following their child’s diagnosis, we have a sight loss counselling service that can help.

There are several support groups available for parents of children with vision impairment, and condition specific groups for children with a particular diagnosis. Contact a Family can direct you to the best one for a particular child.

Did this answer your question?

Your feedback will help us to keep improving this website.

Make a donation

Right now we can only reach one in three of the people who need our help most.

Please make a donation and help us support more blind and partially sighted people.

Regular donation Single donation